My front door was pretty sad looking and needed to be painted. I had put it off since we moved into our house nine years ago. I really hated the brass knobs and kick plate - ugh.
As you can see here it really needed an update.
We changed the window out from the standard wagon wheel style when we moved in but never got around to painting the door.
This is a temporary door - pretty bad huh?
Here is where my DH set up in the garage to sand and paint.
Here it is with one coat of paint.
This is where it went wrong. My DH decided it would be easier with the door vertical so he brought it outside. This would have been OK except the wind was blowing and the cotton was flying - not to mention he used oil based paint.
Back to that later. Here is the door reinstalled (inside) I have sanded wiped it down and taped it.
I hate to paint with oil based paint so I went to Kwal Howells and asked the guy there. He recommended this water based acrylic enamel in a semigloss finish.
I rolled it on with a foam roller to get a ultra smooth finish.
Inside done, now back to the outside. It was bad, I didn't get pictures but the finish was all bumpy and when the sun hit it, it looked even worse. So my DH sanded it down, then I sanded it some more and finally it was ready to paint again.
I waited for a nice day when the front door could stay open while drying. My DH took the knob and deadbolt off (I purchased new ones for all the exterior doors so they will all match - eventually) and then I got to work.
It took three coats as well.
I wanted to keep this hook on the front of the door for my wreaths but it was that ugly brass, so I sprayed it with dark bronze rustolium. Using a shipping box to do my spraying, I stuck the screws into it for easier painting.
Once dry I reinstalled it and added a new kick plate in dark bronze the same color
as the new hardware I purchased - Now it's looking good.
Now for the finishing touches - I added vinyl house numbers
I purchased Here for $10 + S&H.
I love the style of these numbers and they were so easy to install.
And then added a basket with a "Summer Welcome". Just in time for Summer.
And here is the before and after...
Another project done!
Thanks for stopping by, Would love to hear from you!