Friday, September 30, 2011

Jalepeno Jelly

Canning season is coming to an end but not until my Jalapeno Jelly is done (like when the fat lady sings).

I love jalapenos and jalapeno jelly and my DH hates it when I make my jalapeno jelly because it makes the entire house smell not to mention your eyes burn. That doesn't seem to stop him from gobbling it up.

I got the recipe from allrecipes.com a few years ago. It calls for a green bell pepper but also works well with a red bell pepper which makes it a nice red color. This is great on Bagels, crackers and pretzels (my favorite) with cream cheese.

 
 
The recipe calls for 16 jalapenos (12 chopped and 4 chopped and seeded) - I had quite a few small ones so I just measured out 1 lb per batch.
 
 
You will need Cheesecloth or some other type of strainer and rubber gloves. I have heard of people who can handle jalapenos and not get burned. I tried not using rubber gloves on 1 batch of salsa once and my hands felt burned for a day or so - I guess I'm not one of those people. I also used a paper mask this time and it helped when chopping the peppers as this makes me cough.
 
If this sounds like too much trouble - It's not!
Everyone you share your jalapeno jelly with will appreciate you.  Except for the sick few who don't like jalapenos.
 
 
I layered cheesecloth between a couple of canning funnels to strain out the liquid.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
You will want to keep an eye on your pot and not let it boil over like I did today. I didn't get a picture of that - Trust me it wasn't pretty.
 
 
 

Jalapeno Jelly

By: Sue Delgrego 
"This recipe came from the Black Lakes in Canada. It is the best that I have ever tasted, and very easy to make."

Ingredients

  • 1 large green bell pepper
  • 12 jalapeno peppers
  • 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 4 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 4 ounces liquid pectin
  • 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped

Directions

  1. Combine the green bell pepper and 12 jalapeno peppers in the container of a food processor or blender. Process until finely chopped. This can be done in batches, if the peppers do not fit.
  2. Transfer the peppers to a large saucepan, and stir in the cider vinegar. Bring to a boil, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Strain the mixture through at least 2 layers of cheesecloth, and discard pulp. You should have about 1 cup of liquid.
  3. Return the liquid to the saucepan, and stir in the salt and sugar until dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When the mixture comes to a rolling boil (one that cannot be stirred down), boil for one minute, then stir in the liquid pectin.
  4. Stir in the remaining jalapeno peppers, and ladle into sterile jars leaving 1/4 inch head space. Seal jars in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. Flip jars upside down several times white setting to keep jalapenos from setting on top. Refrigerate jelly after seal is broken.



Enjoy!


Thanks for stopping by! Comments welcome.

Holly
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave feedback




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...