Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Cabinet Door Chalkboard

On a recent trip to Re-Store, a local habitat for humanity thrift store I purchased all six of these cabinet doors for just $14. I have ideas in mind for all of them.


First I wanted to do a cute chalkboard for my from door and this is what I came up with

I gathered my supplies


Chalkboard paint, green paint (leftover from another project), black antiquing gel, fine sand paper, foam brushes and rags.

I first sanded the finish lightly and wiped the dust off.


I painted the center with chalkboard paint, let dry then painted the frame with the green paint.




It took two coats of each, let dry.


You can get sloppy here, the paint drips just add to the charm.


I then sanded and scuffed up the green frame to distress it
then rubbed on some wood stain.


I drilled 1/4" holes on the top and used wood glue to add a drawer handle (upside down) to the bottom that I had purchased at the local hardware store to keep the chalk handy.



I added some wire edged ribbon I had on hand - I love, love, love black and white gingham!
Looping it from the back to the length I wanted.


Then tied a bow in the front.





Kinda hard to make a bow while taking pictures with one hand. Future video tutorial on bow tying to come. Yep! My DH set me up with a video camera and so after I work out the deets I will be adding some videos - Yay!


Now all that's left is to add a message. For those of you who don't know - I am a Dog Groomer/Stylist so I just had to add a dogie paw to my sign - sweet!


Here it is on my front door.



This chalkboard is very versatile - It can be used for the front door now and later It can be displayed on a stand, the mantle or used to display the menu, grocery list or any message or quote or just to add a bit of whimsy anywhere. The ribbon can be switched out and colored chalks can also be used. Check out my front door makeover Here.


I am looking forward to changing it up for the different holidays and occasions!

One cabinet door done, five to go!


Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.

Holly

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS PROJECT!!
    WHAT A GREAT IDEA FOR THE FRONT DOOR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute and clever idea. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Natasha in Oz. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-4.html Wishing you a grand Sunday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out so cute! I love the gingham bow.

    Sandy
    <a href="http://cherishedhandmadetreasures.blogspot.com>Cherished Handmade Treasures</a>

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! It's such a great idea to recycle old cabinet doors! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this! Thanks so much for linking up at Doodles & Stitches! Winners will be announced Friday... hint hint!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous! I wish I was as creative as you. Thank so much for saying G'day and sharing your post at my Say G'day Party. Hope you will be back again Saturday to link up your Social Media post (or anything else) at my very first Let's Get Social {Media} Linky party!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful idea!! I am also a dog groomer and I think it comes with the territory that we are crafty and creative :) Im always looking for neat things to make for the shop, this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave feedback




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...